Tax Blog

Learn what you need to know about with clear, in-depth articles on U.S. taxation with a focus on U.S. taxpayers overseas. See what tax expert Randall Brody has to say and get the real scoop.

Randall Brody

Randall Brody is an enrolled agent, licensed by the US Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the IRS for audits, collections and appeals. To attain the enrolled agent designation, candidates must demonstrate expertise in taxation, fulfill continuing education credits and adhere to a stringent code of ethics.

Since 1997, Tax Samaritan founder Randall Brody has been helping people save money on their tax return. We specialize in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers that are gamblers, teachers, nurses and military. Each of our returns is prepared from the practical, real-world need that we see every day from our clients – a simple process to complete your return while paying the least amount in taxes.

Get FREE High quality, in-depth tax tips and
short, to the point, tax saving articles

I Want To Join The Tax Insider's List Now


Show posts from a specific category by clicking below:

Tax Professional

Need A Tax Professional To Prepare Your Tax Return?

August 24, 2016 - Randall Brody

Tax Professionals Types There are various types of tax professionals that you can select from to prepare your tax return, including enrolled agents, certified public accountants, attorneys, and many others who don’t have a professional credential. It is reasonable to expect your tax professional to be skilled in tax preparation, tax laws and to ultimately … Continue reading Need A Tax Professional To Prepare Your Tax Return?

Unreimbursed Employee Expenses

Unreimbursed Employee Expenses

August 22, 2016 - Randall Brody

Employee Business Expenses As an employee, you may be able to deduct certain work-related expenses if you itemize deductions on Schedule A (which is worthwhile if your total itemized deductions are greater than your standard deduction based on your filing status). If you paid for out-of-pocket expenses related to your job during the tax year, … Continue reading Unreimbursed Employee Expenses

Rental Income

Rental Income And Rental Expenses

August 17, 2016 - Randall Brody

Rental Income Tax If you own rental real estate, you should be aware of your federal tax responsibilities. All rental income must be reported on your tax return, and in general the associated expenses can be deducted from your rental income. However, you should also understand that there are certain rental expenses you may deduct … Continue reading Rental Income And Rental Expenses

Form 14653

Form 14653-Certification For Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedures

July 12, 2016 - Randall Brody

Under the streamlined foreign offshore procedure, taxpayers must certify that their conduct relating to the failure to file FBARs (FinCen Form 114) and disclosing foreign accounts was not willful on Form 14653 – Certification by U.S. Person Residing Outside of the United States for Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedures. Form 14653 – Certification by U.S. Person … Continue reading Form 14653-Certification For Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedures

Foreign Housing Exclusion

Foreign Housing Exclusion

July 6, 2016 - Randall Brody

Foreign Housing Exclusion And The Foreign Earned Income Exclusion The foreign housing exclusion complements the foreign earned income exclusion that is reported on the Form 2555 and can increase your available exclusion amount. This is an additional exclusion for your housing costs if your tax home is in a foreign country and you qualify for … Continue reading Foreign Housing Exclusion