My spouse is a non-resident alien (not a U.S. taxpayer, resident or greencard holder). Can I or should I file a joint return with my spouse?

Yes, it is possible to request an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) for your spouse if they don’t already have a U.S. tax identification number, so that a joint tax return can be filed. However, in order to file a joint tax return, your non-resident spouse will be required to make an election as part of the return, which will be subject to U.S. taxation and the reporting of their worldwide income (just like a U.S. citizen/permanent resident). In addition, as a result of this election to be considered a “tax resident,” the non-resident spouse will also be subject to other disclosure requirements, such as the FBAR.

Generally, we don’t recommend filing a joint return with a non-resident spouse due to becoming subject to ongoing U.S. tax reporting requirements, unless the spouse has little to no current worldwide income for the foreseeable future.

Comment on this FAQ

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *