Specified foreign financial assets include the following:
- Financial accounts maintained by a foreign financial institution
- The following foreign financial assets if they are held for investment and not held in an account maintained by a financial institution:
- Stock or securities issued by someone that is not a U.S. person (including stock or securities issued by a person organized under the laws of a U.S. possession)
- Any interest in a foreign entity
- Any financial instrument or contract that has an issuer or counterparty that is not a U.S. person (including a financial contract issued by, or with, a counterparty that is a person organized under the laws of a U.S. possession).