Foreign Income – Tips For Taxpayers With Foreign Income

Tips For Taxpayers WIth Foreign Income

Are You A Taxpayer With Foreign Income?

If you are living or working outside the United States, you generally must file and pay your tax in the same way as people living in the U.S. This includes people with dual citizenship.

Our Tips For Taxpayers With Foreign Income

If you’re a taxpayer with foreign income, here’s our tips for taxpayers with foreign income and what you should know:

  1. Report Worldwide Income. The law requires U.S. citizens and resident aliens to report any worldwide income. This includes foreign income from foreign trusts, and foreign bank and securities accounts.
  2. Review the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. Many Americans who live and work abroad qualify for the foreign income exclusion. This means taxpayers who qualify will not pay taxes on up to $97,600 (adjusted annually for inflation) of their wages and other foreign earned income they received in 2013. Please contact us if you have any questions about the foreign earned income exclusion.
  3. Don’t Overlook Credits and Deductions. Taxpayers may be able to take either the foreign tax credit or a deduction for income taxes paid to a foreign country. This benefit reduces the taxes these taxpayers pay in situations where both the U.S. and another country tax the same income.
  4. File Required Tax Forms. In most cases, affected taxpayers need to file Schedule B, Interest and Ordinary Dividends, with their tax returns. Some taxpayers may need to file additional forms with the Treasury Department such as Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets or Form TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (also known as the FBAR. Please contact us if you’re not sure which forms you need to file.
  5. Separately, taxpayers with foreign accounts whose aggregate value exceeded $10,000 at any time during 2013 must file Treasury Department Form TD F 90-22.1. This is not a tax form and is due to the Treasury Department by June 30, 2014 and is required to be electronically filed. If you need help with this, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
  6. Consider the Automatic Extension. U.S. citizens and resident aliens living abroad on April 15, 2014, may qualify for an automatic two-month extension to file their 2013 federal income tax returns. The extension of time to file also applies to those serving in the military outside the U.S. If you are serving in a combat zone in the military or in a support position for the Armed Forces (such as a qualified contractor), you may qualify for the special combat zone extension. Taxpayers must attach a statement to their returns explaining why they qualify for the automatic extension.
  7. Get Tax Help. If you’re a taxpayer or resident alien living abroad that needs help with tax filing issues, IRS notices, and tax bills, or have questions about foreign income and offshore financial assets in a bank or brokerage account, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
  8. Report Foreign Accounts and Assets. Federal law requires U.S. citizens and resident aliens to report any worldwide income, including income from foreign trusts and foreign bank and securities accounts. In most cases, affected taxpayers need to fill out and attach Schedule B to their tax return. Certain taxpayers may also have to fill out and attach to their return Form 8938, Statement of Foreign Financial Assets.

    Part III of Schedule B asks about the existence of foreign accounts, such as bank and securities accounts, and usually requires U.S. citizens to report the country in which each account is located.

Randall Brody is an enrolled agent, licensed by the US Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the IRS for audits, collections and appeals. To attain the enrolled agent designation, candidates must demonstrate expertise in taxation, fulfill continuing education credits and adhere to a stringent code of ethics.

Every effort has been taken to provide the most accurate and honest analysis of the tax information provided in this blog. Please use your discretion before making any decisions based on the information provided. This blog is not intended to be a substitute for seeking professional tax advice based on your individual needs.

All About Randall Brody
Randall is the Founder of Tax Samaritan, a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the other unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers. Here, they help taxpayers save money on their tax returns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *