I work directly for the U.S. government, so is it possible for me to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion?

Unfortunately, income from working abroad as an employee of the U.S. Government does not qualify for either of the exclusions or the housing deduction. If you paid foreign income taxes, it is likely that you will qualify for the Foreign Tax Credit that can be used to offset double taxation. More information about the foreign tax credit can be read here:

Foreign Tax Credit and Double Taxation (Form 1116)

All About Randall Brody
Randall is the Founder of Tax Samaritan, a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the other unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers. Here, they help taxpayers save money on their tax returns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *