If I earned less than the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, do I need to file a U.S. tax return?

Yes, you must file a U.S. tax return in order to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, even if there is no resulting tax liability. In general, the exclusion needs to be claimed on a timely filed return. You may still be able to file late returns and claim the exclusion if you have not been notified by the IRS.

All About Randall Brody
Randall is the Founder of Tax Samaritan, a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the other unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers. Here, they help taxpayers save money on their tax returns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *