IRS SS-4 Form: How to Avoid Common Mistakes and Prevent IRS Trouble

Running a business involves many forms and paperwork, but there’s one thing you can’t afford to ignore – the IRS SS-4 form. While it’s a simple form, it’s essential for filing your taxes, hiring employees, and more. But beware, making mistakes on this form can lead to IRS trouble. In this blog post, we’ll break down what the SS-4 form is, why it matters, and the common errors you must avoid to stay out of danger.

What is the IRS SS-4 Form?

The SS-4 form, “Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN),” is an IRS form you use to apply for your business’s EIN. Think of it as a social security number for your company. The IRS uses this nine-digit number to identify your business entity. You need EIN for tax purposes, opening a business bank account, and hiring employees.

Why do you need an EIN?

Employers apply for an EIN for several reasons, including:

  1. Tax Compliance: If you’re starting a new business or taking over an existing one, you need a business identification number to ensure proper tax compliance. Failing to obtain one can result in IRS penalties and fines.
  1. Separation of Business and Personal Finances: Employer identification number helps separate your personal and business finances. It makes it easier to manage your taxes and protect your personal assets.
  1. Hiring Employees: If you plan to hire employees, you’ll need a business identification number to handle payroll taxes and other employment-related tax responsibilities.
  1. Opening Business Bank Accounts: Most banks require an EIN  to open a business bank account along with other documents to confirm that your business is registered and legal to operate. 
  1. Taking Out Business Loans: Lenders and investors often require an employer’s ID number as part of their process when considering funding your business. They need it to check your business credit and see your eligibility for acquiring a loan.

Applying for an EIN – The Safe Way

You can apply for an employer identification number in three different ways: online, by fax, or by mail. Here’s how to do it using each method:

  • Online Application: The easiest way to get an employer identification number is to apply online. It’s free and you can do it on the IRS website. Before you start, make sure you have all the needed information ready. When you fill out the form online, it checks your details right away, and when you’re done, you get your EIN instantly. This works for businesses in the United States or U.S. Territories.
  • Apply By Fax: You can also apply for an identification number by fax. First, fill out Form SS-4 and make sure you include all the information they ask for. Then, send the completed form to the fax number you can find on the IRS website. 
  • Apply By Mail: You can also get an EIN by sending a paper application through the mail. To do this, fill out Form SS-4 and make sure you provide all the required information. However, keep in mind that this process may take a month to complete. 

Common SS-4 Form Mistakes to Avoid:

  • Mismatched Data: One of the most common errors associated with the SS4 form is providing incorrect information. Any mistakes on this form may cause delays or even rejection of your application. Make sure to double-check all details, such as your business name, address, and social security number. 
  • Rushing It: It’s a good idea not to wait until you really need an EIN to apply for one. It’s better to get it ready when you know you’re going to need it. Rushing can lead to mistakes, and you might not get your ID number in time for important business tasks. Additionally, the IRS may also reject your tax return if you don’t have one by the time you file your return and may subject you to late penalties.
  • Incomplete Information: When you’re filling out the SS-4 form, make sure you fill in every part. Leaving any part empty can cause delays. The IRS needs all the information to process your application.
  • Double Dipping: If you already have an EIN, there’s usually no need to get another one. Having multiple EINs for the same business can create confusion and complications. Only apply for a new number if it’s absolutely necessary, like if you’re starting a completely new business.
  • Errors in Classification: Choosing the right type for your business is important. If you select the wrong classification, it can cause tax issues in the future. Make sure to understand your business type and select the correct classification. If you’re not sure, it’s a good idea to seek advice or consult with a tax professional to avoid problems later on.

Frequently Asked Questions About EIN:

Q1: Do I need an employer identification number for my sole proprietorship?

A1: Sole proprietors without employees can use their Social Security Number instead of an EIN. However, getting one can add a layer of protection for your personal information.

Q2: How much does it cost to apply for an EIN?

A2: It’s absolutely free! You can apply for an identification number without any charges.

Q3: Can I apply for an EIN over the phone?

A3: Yes, but this option is for international applicants only. Call the number 267-941-1099 to apply by phone. Be prepared to provide all the required information during the call.

Q4: What if I made a mistake on my IRS SS-4 form?

A4: If you discover an error on your SS-4 form after submission, you can correct it by filing a new Form SS-4 with the correct information. Be sure to explain the error and the corrections you’re making. You can also contact the IRS for guidance on correcting the mistake.

Q5: How long is my EIN valid?

A5: Your business ID number does not expire. Once you receive it, you can use it indefinitely for tax and business purposes. However, if there are changes in your business structure or ownership, you may need to apply for a new EIN.

Q6: Can I expedite the EIN application process?

A6: While there is no official expedited service for EIN applications, using the online method usually gets your identification number faster than applying by mail or fax. 

Q7: Do I need an EIN if I’m a freelancer or an independent contractor?

A7: In most cases, freelancers and independent contractors can use their Social Security Number instead of an EIN. However, if you plan to hire employees or your clients request an EIN for tax reporting purposes, you may need to get one.

Q8: Can I use my EIN immediately after receiving it?

A8: Yes, once received, you can start using it for various business-related purposes, such as opening a bank account or filing taxes. 

Q9: What’s the difference between an EIN and a TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number)?

A9: An EIN is specifically for businesses and entities, while a TIN is a broader term that includes various types of taxpayer identification numbers. TINs can include social security numbers, EINs, and individual taxpayer identification numbers, among others. Businesses commonly use EINs, while individuals may use SSNs or ITINs for tax purposes.

Q10: Can I apply for an employer identification number for my non-profit organization?

A10: Yes, non-profit organizations can apply for an EIN. The process is similar to applying for a business EIN, but you’ll need to specify your organization’s tax-exempt status and provide additional documentation to support your non-profit classification.

Q11: How can I protect my EIN?

A11: Don’t share it randomly, especially on shady websites or with unknown individuals. Scammers might misuse it and cause you trouble.

Q12: What should I do if the IRS rejects my SS4 Form?

A12: Sometimes, the IRS may reject your SS4 form. Common reasons include errors in your application or incomplete information. But don’t panic as you can correct mistakes and reapply.

Need an EIN for your business?

While the IRS SS-4 form might not be the most exciting part of running a business, it plays a critical role in ensuring your tax compliance. Don’t underestimate its importance, and don’t let the dangers of ignoring it catch you off guard. 

If you need any assistance in filling out the SS-4 form to apply for an EIN  or preparing your tax return, don’t hesitate to contact us at Tax Samaritan. Our experts are here to help you navigate the process seamlessly, allowing you to focus on the growth and success of your business.

All About Randall Brody
Randall is the Founder of Tax Samaritan, a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the other unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers. Here, they help taxpayers save money on their tax returns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *