This Is What Social Security And Medicare Taxes For Expats

Social Security and Medicare Taxes

Generally Social Security and Medicare Taxes For Services Performed Overseas Don’t Apply

In general, U.S. social security and Medicare taxes do not apply to wages for services you perform as an employee outside the United States unless one of the following exceptions applies.

  1. You perform the services on or in connection with an American vessel or aircraft,
  2. You are working in one of the countries with which the United States has entered into a bilateral social security agreement,
  3. You are working for an American employer,
  4. You are working for a foreign affiliate of an American employer under a voluntary agreement entered into between the American employer and the U.S. Treasury Department.

American employer. It is important to note that if your wages are from what is considered an American employer your income will be subject to social security and Medicare taxes. An American employer includes any of the following.

  • The U.S. Government or any of its entities.
  • An individual who is a resident of the United States, including a sole proprietorship.
  • A partnership of which at least two-thirds of the partners are U.S. residents.
  • A trust of which all the trustees are U.S. residents.
  • A corporation organized under the laws of the United States, any U.S. state, or the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, or American Samoa.
  • A trust of which all the trustees are U.S. residents.

Finally, if you are self-employed and working overseas, you will generally still be subject to U.S. self-employment tax (aka social security and Medicare taxes). This is the case even if you pay no income tax as a result of claiming the foreign earned income exclusion or foreign tax credit.

Example. You are living in London, United Kingdom as a self-employed computer consultant and qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion. Your foreign earned income is $93,000, your business deductions are $13,000, and your net profit is $80,000. You must pay self-employment tax (social security and Medicare taxes) on all of your net profit ($80,000), even though that amount is excluded from income taxes as a result of the foreign earned income exclusion.

U.S. Expat Tax Guide


Request Our Free Expat Tax eBook! 


Tax Samaritan’s Indispensable Guide To How U.S. Taxpayers Abroad Can Save On Their Taxes And Keep The IRS & State Tax Authorities Happy



As a client of Tax Samaritan, we can assist you with determining whether social security and Medicare taxes will apply to your foreign earned income.

Enjoy More Relevant Tax Articles – Subscribe To The Tax Samaritan Newsletter

If you found this article helpful, you’ll likely benefit from future ones as well – please feel free to subscribe to our free newsletter and don’t miss future tips, advice and news:

If you enjoyed this article, please Google +1 the post. Thank you.

Get Started With A Tax Quote

Tax Samaritan is focused on ensuring that accurate and complete returns are prepared for all taxpayers while paying the lowest tax liability legally possible.

If you would like to discuss the preparation of your tax return, you can request a free, no obligation quote for our services here:

And let us know that you would like a free 30-minute consultation. During this consultation, we will be happy to answer any specific tax questions that you have regarding your personal situation.

Or speak to us live through the chat button on the bottom of your screen or by reaching us directly at 702-350-1040 or “RandallSamaritan” on Skype.

Tax Samaritan is a team of Enrolled Agents with over 25 years of experience focusing on US tax preparation and representation. We maintain this tax blog where all articles are written by Enrolled Agents. Our main objective is to educate US taxpayers on their tax responsibilities and the selection of a tax professional. Our articles are also designed to help taxpayers looking to self prepare, providing specific tips and pitfalls to avoid.

When looking for a tax professional, choose carefully. We recommend that you generally want to hire an Enrolled Agent, such as Tax Samaritan or other professional licensed to practice before the IRS, such as a CPA or attorney. If you are a US taxpayer overseas, we further recommend that you seek a professional who is experienced in expat tax preparation (most tax professionals have limited to no experience with expat taxes).

Randall Brody is an enrolled agent, licensed by the US Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the IRS for audits, collections and appeals. To attain the enrolled agent designation, candidates must demonstrate expertise in taxation, fulfill continuing education credits and adhere to a stringent code of ethics.

Every effort has been taken to provide the most accurate and honest analysis of the tax information provided in this blog. Please use your discretion before making any decisions based on the information provided. This blog is not intended to be a substitute for seeking professional tax advice based on your individual needs.

All About Randall Brody
Randall is the Founder of Tax Samaritan, a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the other unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers. Here, they help taxpayers save money on their tax returns.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *